The Singapore Games Week (SGW) 2021 opens today! A showcase & celebration of Singapore’s vibrant games industry and its communities, the debut edition of SGW offers anyone who is interested in games and Singapore’s gaming scene a virtual exhibition (SGW Virtual Village), workshops, a treasure hunt, trivia sessions and more. The SGW Virtual Village opens till 31 October, while other activities run from 11 to 17 October.
- Explore The SGW Virtual Village, a virtual space to meet Singapore’s gaming community, check out screenings, watch gamescom asia STUDIO live, start a treasure hunt and more
- Experience Online and Offline workshops, trivia nights all through the week (11 – 17 October)
- Network & Celebrate With Singapore-based game companies at a hybrid Singapore Pavilion in gamescom asia (14 – 15 October). Honour the best in the region at the Asia Games Awards.
Ready with your Avatar? Explore the SGW Virtual Village
The main exhibition platform for SGW 2021, the SGW Virtual Village is a Singapore-themed village. Visitors start by customising their own online avatars and traverse through various zones.
Activities in the Virtual Village include:
- Meet and “chat” with Singapore-based gaming companies, including game developers, publishers, as well as companies with an expertise in games-related design, jewellery, marketing, and video production. Look out for game showcases as well, including an exclusive showcase of “Convalescence” – a game developed by Singapore Polytechnic Year 2 Design students..
- Watch gaming content at the Screening Zone – from video screenings to live-streamed sessions direct from gamescom asia.
- Spot and solve clues of a Treasure Hunt within the village grounds.
The SGW Virtual Village is free to explore at www.sgga.org.sg from now till 31 October.
Embark on a Treasure Hunt and Check Out Local Businesses
As part of SGW 2021, the Treasure Hunt is a hybrid event with clues and hints hidden in the SGW Virtual Village, partner sites, as well as selected F&B locations.
Based on the concept that games can be a part of daily life, participants will jump onto a journey across real and virtual worlds to solve games-related questions and puzzles, uncovering clues along the way. Completed entries with correct answers will stand to win a range of attractive prizes including a gaming chair, smart watch, games, loot bags and more.
The Treasure Hunt is free to join and runs from 11 to 17 October.
Discover your (hidden) talent in games with the community
From painting miniatures to game design workshops, a series of activities organised by the local gaming community are available for every game enthusiast.
Either free to attend or at attractively subsidized rates, they are held between 11-17 October and include:
- The Paper Playground by AlterCulture Studios: A workshop that gives attendees a sneak peek into the process of designing games, and hands-on experience in designing their very own game prototype to take home.
- Running Tabletop RPGs for Friends and Family: A Beginner’s Guide to TRPGs and Storytelling by Curious Chimeras: A workshop where experienced TRPG (Tabletop Role-playing Games) designers and gamemasters will show how you can enjoy these games too with your friends and family.
- Dungeons & Dragons Experience by Neo Tokyo Project: Learn to play Dungeons & Dragons with Singapore’s first and only ENnie Awards nominated adventure author Jason Koh, and experience a series of gripping, 4‐hour long adventures specially adapted for SGW 2021.
- Learn to Paint Dungeons & Dragons Miniatures by Neo Tokyo Project: A beginner friendly miniature painting workshop will let attendees learn techniques to add color to their tabletop gaming experience by bringing their favorite monsters and characters to life.
- Play with Gank’s Playpals by Gank: From 11 – 17 October, Gank will be offering subsidized rates to play and interact with their SEA-based content creators and gamers.
- A Gamers’ Trivia Game of Games Game by SGGA: A series of online game-dev trivia game nights for fun and excitement with your fellow gaming friends. Registration has closed.
The Business of Gaming – the Singapore Story
For companies keen to find out more about working in the Singapore-based games industry, from 14 – 17 October, SGGA will host a hybrid Singapore Pavilion at gamescom asia, the first Asian satellite event of the world‘s largest computer and video games festival, gamescom. The Singapore Pavilion will feature exhibitors from Singapore-based gaming and esports startups and SMEs.
Celebrate the best in Asia’s games scene with winners of The Asia Games Awards. Organised by SGGA in partnership with gamescom asia, the inaugural awards ceremony will be streamed live on 17 October in the SGW Virtual Village. The awards recognise the best work in Asia’s games scene.
During SGW 2021, SGGA’s Discord channel will play host to virtual networking sessions and welcomes anyone interested in the games industry to join in.
About the Singapore Games Association
Established in 2020, the Singapore Games Association (SGGA) is the primary trade association advocating for Singapore’s games and esports industry. SGGA aims to build a sustainable and inclusive ecosystem in Singapore, while placing Singapore’s gaming brand on the world map. The Association is designed to be an effective platform that empowers members and facilitates networking with local and international gaming associations, organisations and businesses to promote best practices and explore opportunities.
SGGA seeks to cultivate the growth of Singapore-based games and esports companies through initiatives to raise professional and community engagement. By curating training and upgrading programmes, the Association endeavours to uplift the industry’s expertise while developing a strong talent pipeline. For more information, visit www.sgga.org.sg.
By Editorial Team / October 11, 2021
Check out all new Gaming & Esports titles on TechStorm Esports Time Belt every Monday – Friday 11pm (SG/MAL) 10pm (JKT/BKK) 8:30pm (SL)